Thursday 17 March 2011

Afrika Typografika 3

Our class is currently working on something for Garth Walker's (Mister Walker Design) Afrika Typografika #3. We have to develop an African inspired font and create a single page spread to go into the magazine. After scrapping a few different concepts, I decided to get away from the cultural side of Africa and focus on the industrial side of Durban - it's port. I was under the impression that we had to communicate our concept in a formal typeface, but after speaking to Mr. Walker I quickly realised that he was looking for a more photographic approach. After a few trips around container depots and the harbor (which I couldn't get into) I was able to snap some shots that I could use for my typeface. Here's a couple examples of how I used the photos to create the typeface :






















I can't display my final spread yet as it might get published and I don't have the distribution rights, but I'll update this post with the final spread as soon as I'm allowed to!

No comments:

Post a Comment